Here's a great way to get the taste of having a hamburger without the bun (or the fries).
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cooked lean or extra-lean ground beef (or ground meat/meat substitute of your choice).
- Amount will depend on how big of a human you are and how hungry you are. A good rule of thumb is that the protein portion of your meal should be approximately the size of the palm of your hand.
- 2 tablespoons cooked & roasted* lentils or chana dal (split chickpeas, sometimes listed as split lentils)
- 1/4 tomato, chopped (more if you want)
- 1 dill pickle, chopped (I usually use a baby dill)
- 1/4 to 1/2 ripe avocado (optional)
- dash (1-2 teaspoons) ketchup
Heat up the ground meat with the dal (if needed), toss in the other ingredients, and stir. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste if needed.
*A note on cooking lentils, beans, split peas, dal, et cetera:
I do mine from scratch, but that's not for everyone. You can buy cooked lentils, beans, and split peas in a can, and they work just as well.
- Drain and rinse, then toss with some grapeseed oil and a bit of salt.
- Spread on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 min (may be longer depending on how much you are doing and the type of lentil, bean, or pea) at 450 F.